Bastille on Other People's Heartache

Winter nights staying in are becoming a constant nightmare, blame the little to no income for my graduate misery. Instead of a bottle of tequila by the bedside, I've turned to SoundCloud and Twitter (@LamTang) for the music. Now live lounge covers are like a shot of 70% absinthe, satisfying with a very bad hangover the morning after. I'm disheartened by the par-average state of dreadfully unoriginal cover versions festering online, please resist the urge to slap Tulisa from butchering Sia's Titanium with the screeching agony of roadkill.



When I came upon Bastille's Other People's Heartache - Part 1 mixtape by coincidence, I fell in love with the romance of their old skool artsy renditions of classics like an intoxicated teenager at McDonalds 99p deals. I'm a complete convert to their barrage of creative covers. City High's What Would You Do? is given a credible acoustic indie twist, a fag fix equivalent in delight. I'm obsessed with the rehabilitated Of The Night, free from the rancid cheese and corn of the 80s.



Then there is Requiem For Blue Jeans, an enchanting cover of bliss with the old Hollywood glamour of Del Rey's misery and an orchestral backing. Sunset Boulevard is calling me with a stiff drink and an old demented actress of the silent picture era. Love Don't Live Here is remixed with Outkast's Miss Jackson, hauntingly heart-wrenching. While I can't fathom the schizophrenic rendition of Titanium, this mixtape is a hipster's dream I have on Spotify. The nightclubs may be a distant memory, but I'm comforted by the drunk-like embrace of Bastille.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment